Monday, July 18, 2011

Worry vs. Anxiety

I've been thinking a lot about the distinction between simply worrying and having anxiety, but in truth, linguistically speaking, they aren't that different in meaning. But in my mind, having a healthy concern for someone or a situation can be worlds apart from full blown anxiety. And, of course, everyone has a different propensity for worry/anxiety.

It's pretty well known, in my immediate family at least, that I am prone to be a worrier, and at times my worrying becomes, well, a more worrisome anxiety. And for me, having relatives dealing with mental illnesses, especially my son, my worrying has really been put to the test. One of the reasons for writing this blog, besides having family members be able to keep up with what's happening in an anonymous sort of way, is to explore how mental illness affects the whole family.

So, how have I dealt with this anxiety? I've seen my family doctor twice, and he has prescribed Xanax, which I only take in extremely anxiety producing times. I've been pretty successful in really only taking them as needed since becoming addicted to it is extremely easy, and that is worrying. He also prescribed an SSRI, which didn't seem effective, and the possibility of gaining weight was also worrying. I weaned off of it, and in hindsight, it did have a very subtle effect.

The second time I saw him, he went with Wellbutrin and it's just too soon to tell. Wellbutrin can help with focus among other things, and I do feel more able to stay on task, and a bit less distracted.

Psychcentral.com has excellent articles on anxiety, and even has an Anxiety Screening quiz which I took. My results indicated that I have mild to little anxiety. Excellent. Of course, that doesn't mean that I don't still worry and get anxious. When I told Brian the results, he said, "Good. I guess you just Momxiety."

That made me feel better. At least for now.

This, by the way, is the opposite of anxiety:

Trying to relax,

No comments:

Post a Comment