Saturday, August 6, 2011

All is Well


(For Diva Challenge #33)

OK, now that the artsy stuff is out of the way, back to the post title. I haven't been posting much, and maybe it seems not as necessary to write when things are going well. And on all fronts (knock on wood).

On News From My Brother Front: Well, I'm holding my breath (and I haven't talked to my mom this week), but he seems to be improving. He has been in the state mental hospital since July 5, and while he was initially admitted onto the highest level of severity (I guess that's what you would call it) where they are simply trying to stabilize the patients, and no real therapy is done, he has moved up a couple of levels now. He has a new pair of glasses now, so he can finally see. And he is attending Anger Management groups. Possibly some other groups now, but like I said, I haven't heard any news from this week. I hope that he continues to improve and can stop this cycle of hospital admissions (13 since last December).

On News from the Brian Front: The summer definitely got off to a rocky start, and he weathered what would have been "L"'s 21st birthday pretty well. He's now deep into the process of entering the university world again. Classes start 2 weeks from now, and we still have paperwork to complete. I say "we", but I'm trying to get him to take care of most of it. Just little things like getting his health form signed, filling out the disability paperwork, paying the tuition (oops, guess we're doing that part).

The only snafu that has happened is his housing. Even though he is transferring in as a junior, somehow the Housing office had him classified as a freshman. You guessed it! He's in a freshman dorm. He has contacted housing, and they are now aware of his situation, but unfortunately there is a waiting list for upper class dorms. The housing woman felt certain he would get in an upper class dorm before school started (or shortly thereafter). While initially upset, he is fine with the situation now, and has a great attitude.

He actually has a great attitude about the whole thing. I think living at home with mom and dad for the past 10 months, albeit in the throes of a bipolar episodes (both manic and depressed) when he first arrived. Still when you're 20-21, you would really much rather be somewhere else. And that's about it. Lots of little details to sort out, but 2 weeks from today he will be moving into a dorm... of some sort.

Nervously excited,

No comments:

Post a Comment