Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Book Review -- Just Like Someone Without Mental Illness Only More So


Just Like Someone Without Mental Illness Only More So: A Memoir, by Mark Vonnegut, MD was another one of the first books I've turned to when Brian got his diagnosis. Honestly, I'm not sure if this is going to be a great review, or just a huge thank you to Dr. Vonnegut for writing this book, and sharing his life with us. My reaction after reading his book, is "wow" his family is at least as crazy as mine. The genetics of mental illness shine through both through his family and mine. My other reaction is a feeling of hope. Yes, you can still have a mental illness and go on to have a successful career and relationships. One other thing I enjoyed about the book is for such a serious subject, the tone is light and there are some very funny things that happened in his life. In my own experiences, sometimes funny things are done by mentally ill people, or just happen along the course of the illness. You aren't always able to laugh about them right away, but as time passes, you'll find yourself telling stories that at the root should not be funny, but yet, they are.

I'm not really going to give much more of a "review" in my words, but to leave you with some quotes from the book that really touched me in one way or another. [I read this book on my Kindle, so I apologize for not really having page numbers here.]

"The biggest gift of being unambiguously mentally ill is the time I've saved myself trying to be normal."

"A psychotic break is the exact opposite of not taking up much space and being as little trouble as possible." [After having witnessed Brian's psychotic break, I really appreciated this description.]

"Attitude was creating reality."

"Maybe I just had to learn to be comfortable with being uncomfortable, with being scared out of my mind, and to let it go past like it wasn't about me."

"The first truth is that none of the thoughts going by are worth drinking over." p. 124 [Kindle activated a new service where page numbers became available around Feb. 20 or 21] [This is good advice for anyone.]

"There are no people anywhere who don't have some mental illness. It all depends on where you set the bar and how hard you look. What is a myth is that we are mostly mentally well most of the time." p. 166 [yep, I believe this! Could be considered the theme of the book.]

"What so-called normal people are doing when they define disease like manic depression or schizophrenia is reassuring themselves that they don't have a thought disorder, that their thoughts and feelings make perfect sense." p. 166

"As hard as addiction is, it's always possible to quite and change your perception of the world from one where you do drugs and just about nothing good is possible to one where you don't do drugs and good things can happen." p. 187 [I hope this is true for my brother's sake.]

 

2 comments:

  1. This sounds like a good read. Thank you for the recommendation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful artwork and very thought-provoking quotes. It wasn't until I "dealt" with my childhood and depression by recognizing they are simply facts in my life, and NOT my life itself, that I became able to talk about them freely when appropriate, without shame. When I refused delivery of shame, sense of worthlessness or responsibility for these facts, I found a life worth the living. I try afresh to do so, every day.

    ReplyDelete